These eco-friendly redecorating tips for your living room will save you money and help the environment all at the same time. Tons of furniture are thrown in the landfills. Furniture has a long life however it is not always recyclable, dismantling and recycling individual materials requires time, effort, and money which is why it is easier to just dump them in landfills. We engage in furniture buying while redecorating our homes a whole lot more often than we really should. There are many ways to make your home look stylish year after year without having to replace major pieces of your furniture.
- Try to purchase furniture pieces that have multiple functions, like a convertible sofa. When you have guests over, there’s no need to purchase an additional guest bed and mattress. Simply use the sofa during the day, and when nighttime rolls around convert it to a full bed for a good night’s sleep.
- Keep your sofa lasting for years to come with a slipcover. Slipcovers will make your sofa look brand new every year. Although you’re purchasing extra materials to cover your sofa, this keeps your furniture lasting for years to come to avoid purchasing new pieces that require a ton of new materials to make.
- Rearranging your furniture will help make the room look entirely different. Take some time to plan out space in your living room, think of the season in place and how you would like to be closer or further away from the windows.
- Rotate signature pieces throughout the year. By switching up the decorations with every different season, you will not get bored of your surroundings. Another easy way is to change up your picture frames by giving them a fresh coat of paint rather than buying a whole new set to put up your artwork.
- It’s all about the lighting. Depending on how bright you want your living room to be, you can easily control the natural sunlight and electrical lighting by having a few options of drapes and lampshades. Drapes can be categorized by the thickness of the material for the amount of light you want to come into the room. Light materials such as linen or silk will allow more light, and thick materials such as velvet or twill will keep the light out as well as allowing more privacy. Lampshade-wise, try to find lighter colors for warmer seasons such as spring and summer and darker shades to warm up the room for fall and winter’s colder weather.
- Use plants for decoration purposes. Instead of buying expensive and environmentally unfriendly decorations, made of plastic, you should use plants instead. There are myriads of different plants out there and I bet you will find some which match your taste. The good thing about plants is that they will not only make your home nicer, they also produce oxygen inside your home which can increase your mental ability. They are usually quite cheap, which makes it even more preferable to avoid plastic decoration and use natural plants instead.
- Use eco-friendly paint for renovation purposes. To make your living room nicer, you might also consider painting your walls. Many paints contain harmful compounds like VOCs (volatile organic compounds), which can be quite harmful to human health and also to the environment as they contribute to ozone layer depletion and several sorts of pollution. Thus, it is important to switch from those conventional eco-harmful paints to more eco-friendly ones. Some companies are specialized in the production of paints which only use low amounts of VOCs.
- Look for Sustainable Rugs. Want to warm a room with hardwood or tile flooring? Look for sustainable rugs made with eco-friendly materials like jute, seagrass, or recycled plastics. You’ll cover your floors with soft carpeting without the use of microplastics to reduce the echoing in your home.
There are plenty of ways you can make your living room more eco-friendly. Many of them are quite easy to implement, others take a little bit more time, effort, and money. You can further increase your positive ecological effect by convincing your families and friends about the importance of a greener lifestyle. People sometimes need a little push in the right direction to take action.
A wonderful blog that shares some valuble tips to decorate the living room in an eco-friendly manner. The details are explained in a simle way. Recently, I came across another interesting blog by Artech Realtors that shared some useful tips on eco-friendly home decorations. Check out the complete article here: https://artechrealtors.com/eco-friendly-home-decorating-ideas/